Here’s Must Have Tips on How to Stay Social Media Safe in DFW and Beyond from our contributing writer, Andrea…
Q. What flashes red and blue but is black all over? You can find them with donuts. Sometimes.
A. Your local police.
You’ve seen them shake it and lip sync in the challenges. You’ve seen then frolic in the fields of flowers. You’ve seen the hilarious challenges across the country.
Now have you seen their Facebook pages? LIKE some area police department Facebook pages or FOLLOW them on Intstagram or Twitter. Check Flower Mound, Addison, Balch Springs, Benbrook or any ‘hood you can think of. There’s a solid blend of good common sense reminders, a giggle or two, and some scary realities not to ignore. Get the 411 on 911 Social Media. Let’s explore a few.
You know the unspoken law – share these shareables.
Start a #9pmRoutine – Simply Safe
In 2017, Pasco County Sherrif’s department started a social media crime prevention campaign to promote safety at home – nightly. It caught on nationwide and beyond. It’s your turn now to change your routine to sleep easy – easier.
Add this to your 9pm routine:
- Close the garage
- Remove valuables from your vehicles
- Lock vehicle doors and truck bed covers
- Lock doors
- And think about installing security camera before you are a victim
The Legal Side of Sexting – Know the Facts
You may already know this but might need reminders or to educate those you love.
- Sexting is sharing any form of suggestive material on any form of electronic media.
- Private is the new public. It’s perpetual data.
- It’s a crime which can easily turn from a misdemeanor to a felony with jail time.
- Minors who possess send, receive and forward can face charges too.
- It’s not worth the trouble it can cause. Play it smart from the start.
- A single sext can ruin a life.
Empowering and Educating Women for Safety
- Be on the prowl, in a good way. Keep an eye out for a class in your area at police departments, gyms and martial arts dojos. Just sign up. Bring a gal pal. You won’t regret it.
- Know the signs of potential violence in your circle. Read up. https://www.sheepdogsafetytraining.com/signs-that-violence-is-near
- Arrange for the Sheepdog ministry to present a seminar you host at a church. This can truly save your life. Spread the word of situational awareness, prevention of and addressing domestic violence. (They have other programs including church and school safety.) Attendance “fee” is bring needed items for a local women’s shelter. Visit https://www.sheepdogsafetytraining.com/womens-safety
How To Be A Victim – By Knowing How NOT to Be
Learn from a reformed, professional thief, then be aware of your behaviors and change accordingly. Watch this thief walks you though a few things you’ve missed.
- He can read body language when you shove something under the seat
- He can pop that trunk and pop in faster than you can
- Be cautious of friendly – you need to be leery of motives.
- Be situational aware, always.
The New Milk Carton: Geo-targeted Searches for Runaways
In the 1990s, the band Soul Asylum in partnership with the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, released the iconic music video “Runaway Train,” featuring missing children from around the country. It helped locate 21 children.
While on Facebook, watch those cat videos til your face hurts. But don’t scroll over those safety reminders that can prevent heartache by staying aware of your surroundings. Now you have the 411 on 911 Social Media.
Let us know your favorite police departments to follow on social media or other safety tips to share.